Saturday 14 April 2012

horses, where?

On Monday a bunch of us went to the Oakbank Races.
I had bucket loads of fun, it is a bit disturbing looking around at all the drunkeds there purely trying to pick up though... it seems a bit sad - maybe I am just getting too old! HAHA. It is also hard to understand who the poor people are who are left to clean up the piles of rubbish/belongings left behind! After everyone has cleared out there are so many 'things' left. I'm not sure if we should have but between us we scored a mans shoe (just one) a couple of beach chairs and an esky! I think Tom gave his 'finds' away, one through a bus window apparently and the other in place of the expensive sunglasses he 'misplaced'. It was kind of like a path of hard rubbish but you're not 100% sure if you should take the stuff or not.

Below are some happy snaps - random ones that Lorelle has edited and some that I am too lazy to play with so there is no consistency in size/style - just a warning!

As Tom mentioned to me, I am not a very good 'blogger' because I am not always taking photos of 'things'. I have always had this trouble because I am enjoying the moment far too much and forget that I need some photos for memories! I am going to have to improve on this.

 I actually didn't get any photos of the horses, oops!

Lorelle Hannah and I - Full outfits - unfortunately missing our shoes though!  I'm looking far too happy for a nice photo to be taken! haha.


Lorelle not wanting to take her trackies and ugg boots off because it was actually rather cold!


Lorelle and my sister Hannah.
  

Damien, Hannah and Nathaniel.


Michael looking like he's had a rough day.


Lorelle getting her kiss lips on.


Finally, Zannia - the photo I got of Tom just for you - he wouldn't sit still but he and Toby were looking very suave. (I'm not sure what's happening to that bird in the background?!)
 
This is my new hat, thanks to Damien.

Duck faces ladies?

Hannah and Michael.

I am loving Landon's pose in this one - his suit was also pretty awesome (I picked it up for him at the local op shop one time for a different event) the other lads are looking rather smashing also... Landon, Nathanael, Skipp and Alex.

Was a windy, horrible day, but we made the most of it!

Lorelle and Damien. (He has obviously stolen my hat for this picture.

PS - we were close enough to the track that I watched some races and/or heard the horses run(/race??) past but to be honest I just enjoy getting dressed up with my mates!
I also noticed some protestors as we got closer to the event which got me thinking.. Did you know that 'Twenty-four horses have died at Oakbank in jumps races since 1984.' (http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/superracing/horse-dies-in-oakbank-steeplechase/story-fn67mcwv-1226321095790) This makes me sad but I guess that the protestors are mainly looking for a 'ban on jumps racing' - I am not sure about any of this but I am guessing that the organisers should be looking in to this a bit more seriously - I dont know enough about the situation to have a proper opinion but I did have a good time so would love for the event to continue, perhaps on a safer note for the horses... I'll leave it at that in fear of seeming shallow and ignorant.

4 comments:

  1. Hey another bargain - this time a free hat!! I was going to say I liked it on Damien, but then I saw pics of you wearing it and ah! Just meant to be.

    You girls look wonderful!!
    Even Lorelle's unconventional trackies!
    Red is one of your favourite colours for dressing up from now on; I say so. :D
    I really think happy laughing photos are as 'nice' a photo as anyone can ever get! Don't worry bout being posed and serious, leave that to Myspace and duck-face girls haha.
    I'm wondering how come I haven't met Lorelle before? :S You might've told me already, explaining that she lived in Ibiza or somewhere up until now, but yeah. I am disappointed she wasn't around when I was coz she seems like a cool cat.

    Awwwww Tommy :D looking all cute, and drunk.
    Okay so I started looking for a bird flying or eating crumbs or something before I realised what you meant! Haha. Probably she is getting severely hit on by one of the guys that go to pick up!

    :) You aren't shallow and ignorant, there's not lots to it - basically it's the jumps races that are the worst kind of racing... if the horses go to jump over them, it's not like a bar falls off... it's a stack of thick wooden logs and they literally will smash into them and have to get put down. I heard 1 in 35 die from it a year or something :(. It's just disgusting because a lot of people are upset over it, yet it continues; it would probably take one jockey dying to stop the hundreds of horses getting killed.

    A very good photo collection all-in-all :D thanks for teaching me what the races are all about - everything BUT the horses, woohoo! :D

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps. I'm sorry, I honestly try to keep my comments short and sweet but they get OUTTA CONTROOOOLLL so easily haha

    BY THE WAY - My mum commented on your writing to me: "I love the way she writes!" and I agree!! Love reading it, that's probs why I comment so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He won't actually let me have the hat unfortunately, but I will work on it!

    Lorelle was around the place, you'd get along super well actually so I can't wait for you to meet each other.

    Tom did look cute I have to admit! BUT very drunk.

    Sometimes I forget that not everyone talks like my family, 'bird' is a word that comes from my parents I am afraid!


    I am sad about the 'jumps' racing... surely something could be done about it...

    You'll have to come down for Oakbank one year perhaps?


    That's super cute of your mum to say, pretty much I am just letting go and writing whatever I feel/think in that moment. I have also chosen not to edit too much for that reason or else I start to agonise over it... so what you see is a first draft! (generally) I am glad someone enjoys it because I find myself to come across as confusing and a bit too wordy when I write.
    Anyway, thankyou and please thank your mum for her unknowing support! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll get more confident as you do more posts, and probably refine your writing/story telling skills even more - becoming even better when you talk verbally :D But I don't think you have any problem with it.
    I will thank her :) you keep those posts coming, ta.

    Okay I'd love to come... hopefully when they stop jumps but otherwise I was thinking go to Melbourne races because they don't do any there, I don't think!! And how sick would that be?!

    Yeee can't wait to meet Lorelle + hang out with you & her & Amandahugnkiss.

    x

    ReplyDelete